The Mediterranean Diet
For ages it has been said that people in Mediterranean countries live longer, and have a lower risk of getting cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack or stroke. No wonder that eating fish, veggies, beans, fruits and olive oil have been linked regularly with a range of health benefits. It helps the cells to stay biologically young, and can even help you to manage your weight.
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
This special diet describes the way of eating based on traditional foods and drinks of the Mediterranean countries. It doesn't mean that you literally have to go on a diet. Nevertheless, it is a great way to lose weight and improve your health! It includes to eat vegetables, nuts, beans, olive oil, as well as the moderate consumption of protein.
How to start?
If you would like to start with the Mediterranean Diet, we have here some simple tricks:
- Try to eat fish at least three times a week;
- Choose white meat over red meat & limit consumption of red and processed meats;
- Limit commercially made cakes, pastries and biscuits;
- Eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables a day;
- Use extra olive oil or a handful of mixed nuts every day;
- If you enjoy alcohol, stick to one glass of wine a day;
- Limit sweetened cold drink to less than one a day;
- Eat legumes (beans, peas, lentils) at least three times a week.